Friday, August 22, 2008

Me vs Thick books - Part 2 continues..

Dear Bluegy ,

I have been reading this book ; Wang, Anda & Islam for quite a while but until now, I haven't been able to finish reading it. The truth is, I stopped reading this book. There are just too many distractions right now.


This book is interesting.The problem was me. I had difficulty understanding its content..plus the confusing 'non-medical' terms used along with Arabic words..It took me quite some time to actually digest the information & understand some of the concepts mentioned in this book.

But honestly, the main reason why reading this book was so hard & stressful for me...because when I realized how much 'haram', 'riba' & 'syubhah' elements in me & my family daily Muamalat & matters related to money...I felt really guilty for not knowing much about all these & sinful for ignoring & not taking extra effort to look for the 'Islamic' way of managing your money & know about the 'hukum's involve in Banking and other stuffs related to handling your money for eg. Loans, credit card, money exchange,online shopping & many more.Especially when living overseas doesn't give you much option for an alternative Islamic bank.You just need to know how to handle them according to Islam. So, by knowing all these through your reading, you can't just ignore & pretend not to know and then continue with your old ignorant life.

Now, after knowing all these.. I have to be really careful in handling my money , in my daily Muamalat as well as in my Banking related-stuffs. No wonder people say that Ignorance is Bliss. BUT, by ignoring and being 'jahil' about all these 'hukum' and choosing not to seek/equip yourself with the necessary knowledge about 'MONEY & ISLAM' should never be acceptable. What's more unacceptable is by giving excuses such as 'i'm too busy' or 'i'm a medical student..these stuffs are not related to me' ..or 'this is too hard for me to understand..i give up!' . I hope I will never be giving any of these excuses..although sometime reading similar books like this demands too much from my brain.. To THINK & ANALYSE ..which I find lacking in youth nowadays including ME . =(


I forced myself to read similar books like this as I don't want to continue being 'jahil' in issues/matters in Islam..We have always wanted and prayed hard to achieve Taqwa. As mentioned by one of the caliphs, Taqwa is similar to walking carefully down a path full of thorns. You would be fully alert and be aware of your steps lest the thorns should hurt you. By equipping myself with the necessary knowledge, I shall know whether my actions are right from the Islamic perspective. This is my way of being careful in whatever I do in life. Therefore, I need to have the knowledge first so that I know what's permitted in Islam and what's not.

Hence, reading no longer becomes an option for me, it is now a MUST. My knowledge about Islam is somehow like the tip of the iceberg..I have a whole lot more down there to discover. Did I tell you Bluegy~ about an Ustaz from Mesir..he invited me for a discussion about issues in Islam & Syariah? Gosh! I was like ..WHAT!? How shall I discuss about something that I'm not even good at? It was frustrating to decline his offer at that time because of my own shortcomings. InsyaAllah I will try my best to seek & gain as much knowledge as I can. I don't want to be just another typical medical student..or doctor. Never want to give excuses, as I know excuses like I mentioned above will never ever be accepted when you are being asked by Allah..

So Bluegy,

Since Merdeka Day is just around the corner, I have started reading this book--> Ulama' Dalam Sorotan Perjuangan Kemerdekaan .

Who actually fought for Islam & Independence? Why were Tok Janggut & Abdul Rahman Limbong so determined to fight the British? Hope I'll find the answers in this book & hope to finish reading by Merdeka Day~ chaiyo!

***********(to be continued..)***********

No comments:

Post a Comment